[For news on NWT Mint, see http://about.ag/NWTMint.htm]
[For research on bullion dealers, see http://BullionDealerData.com]

Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Crescent248

Reply with quote  #1 
I know the defamation case has been closed, but thought a forum topic on it could be useful for comments / information.

I was hoping it would be successfully challenged, but the judge refused to have a retrial (I think that's the term).

Any documents / news stories on it that could possibly shed some light as to why the judgment was so excessive?
JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent248
Any documents / news stories on it that could possibly shed some light as to why the judgment was so excessive?

Docket 380 in the case has the judge's comments (I.E. why they denied the retrial). My understanding is that NWT was saying (among other things) that the award was excessive because the jury may have inappropriately factored in loss of business in calculating damages. I believe the amount of presumed damages were calculated by the jury, and the exact calculations they used are not known.

That said, I have to add my ever-present disclaimer of "I have no formal legal training." But Docket 380 gives some insight, although not an easy read for a non-lawyer.

bull123

Reply with quote  #3 
The defamation case has zero to do with NWT going bust

want proof?

look how far upside down their numbers are and yet they never paid any of the damages toward that case

the defamation thing is a convenient thing to blame ... maybe it was even done on purpose as some bizarre exit strategy ... who the heck knows for sure

meanwhile what is a private Minting company doing getting involved in a defamation case in the first place?

Ross Hansen had as much business running this company as Caitlyn (Bruce) Jenner has in entering the Miss World competition ...
JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull123
The defamation case has zero to do with NWT going bust

want proof?

No need for proof; the numbers speak for themselves.

I'll be among the first to say that while the defamation case caused the bankruptcy (meaning that trying to collect the judgment pretty much forced NWT to file for bankruptcy), NWT was likely insolvent for years (as in they had many millions of dollars of outstanding orders without assets backing much of it, so cash for new orders paid for old orders and operating expenses). So yes, the defamation case has zero to do with NWT going bust.

I hope it doesn't feel weird with me agreeing 100% with what you say. <G>

Crescent248

Reply with quote  #5 

But the defamation suit certainly affects the existing customers / creditors since the liabilities are even more now.  Just seems like it was an excessive judgment, and now the customers get to pay for it.

bull123

Reply with quote  #6 
Question:

why was a Minting company getting involved in defamation in the first place?

no one answers that

let's say you had the worst landlord in the world ... would you set up a web page about him ???

in my opinion it was done on purpose as a bizarre exit strategy (excuse) for a business that was bust

and there is alleged proof of this ... because Ross was crying in court already that it sunk the company (which it clearly didn't, since he never paid a dime against the judgement)
JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent248
But the defamation suit certainly affects the existing customers / creditors since the liabilities are even more now.  Just seems like it was an excessive judgment, and now the customers get to pay for it.

From what I can tell, it appears to be the largest award in a defamation case (in 2012 there was a $13.7M case that was referred to as the largest, and searching now I can't find anything higher, although there may well be some).

It definitely does affect creditors; he appears to be owed over 20% of the total amount that creditors are owed. And from a fairness perspective, it's off the charts (e.g. a number of people losing their life savings, having to go back to work out of retirement, etc., who could live off a fraction of the $38.3M verdict).

According to the latest Federal Way Mirror article, the person who won the defamation case returned $190,000 he collected to the NWT Trustee. Something else to remember is that if it had not been for that case, the issues at NWT could have gone on for a lot longer.

Crescent248

Reply with quote  #8 

Seems like the State of Washington should not have allowed it to go on.  But that's another topic.

bull123

Reply with quote  #9 
the issues could NOT have gone on longer ...

Carefully read the BBB complaints ... they were so far out on shipments and refunds that it was just a matter of weeks or months before they got shutdown by the Feds ...

Were they going to move to over a year for shipments ???

maybe you could order today and get your order delivered in 2-3 years

that just wouldn't be allowed ...  they were probably able to keep going as long as they did because the state of Washington knew they could be blamed for the impending implosion

so they just let it go ... hoping Ross could outlive their employment

IMHO of course ...

Ross was cooked without that "defamation" nonsense ... and i am still thinking that either Ross is totally insane to get involved in that (posting that page)  ... OR it was done on purpose

either is possible ...

but the "innocent" answer of boo-hoo for poor Ross is total B.S.

by the way, post the "no issues detected" phone call ... this has been the best job of reporting yet by JG ... Bravo !!!
JT

Reply with quote  #10 

Ross Hansen is a predator, plain and simple. Keep in mind that Cohen was injured as much or more than anyone. Check out the court documents. The difference is that Cohen stood up to Hansen and spent 4 years going to federal court to get a verdict. Customers should all thank Brad Cohen for putting Ross Hansen into BK (hopefully jail too) otherwise who knows how many more people Hansen would have conned and how many more millions would have been lost. Also, Cohen is helping the trustee and the BK to recover a lot of money for everyone. 

bull123

Reply with quote  #11 
Nobody blames Brad Cohen ...

Either Hansen has a screw loose going after him with the defamation ... or Cohen was used as a bizarre exit excuse for the impending doom that NWT would become ...

IMHO
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: