[For news on NWT Mint, see http://about.ag/NWTMint.htm]
[For research on bullion dealers, see http://BullionDealerData.com]

Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
AndyG

Reply with quote  #1 
Other than the article below in the Midland Reported-Telegram, which is almost a month old:

http://www.mrt.com/business/article_800db7b4-2a72-11e5-941a-0363b3e7941e.html

I can not find anything about the fraud committed by Bullion Direct by main stream media sources.  I have seen things about the fraud in specialized bullion and coin collecting sites, but nothing the general public would see or notice. 

Considering the total loss is quite substantial I would expect more media coverage at this point. 

I live in New Jersey and I am not familiar with media and news organizations in the Austin, TX area, but considering Austin is the capital of TX I would think there are many. 

I would think the public needs to know the magnitude of this fraud. 

Has anyone notified any media organizations in Austin, or TX?
plankton

Reply with quote  #2 
Agreed.

I checked 'Chuck's linkedin page and it is funny that pretty much only insiders have checked his status : VP from Bullion Storage Facility, other online bullion sellers/traders, former employees of Nucleo 'X' LLP, etc.

There doesn't appear to be very much shock or interest outside the precious metals sector.  With 5000-8000 clients impacted you would think it would get a bit more coverage.
tboll

Reply with quote  #3 
KEYE TV had a short blurb on BD on July 6th

http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/austin-gold-dealer-suspends-operations-after-complaints-26883.shtml

A reporter https://twitter.com/AdamRacusin (July 6) for KEYE made a tweet.

I wrote the news station and the reporter and cited JG's article Bankruptcy article in coinweek and his About.Ag website.  I got no reply or any followup interest out of them.

shooter magaven

Reply with quote  #4 
A charge of fraud by some federal alphabet soup agency is likely what is needed before the "media" wastes their precious time on it.
If it ain't about The Donald, it ain't interesting.
JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter magaven
A charge of fraud by some federal alphabet soup agency is likely what is needed before the "media" wastes their precious time on it. If it ain't about The Donald, it ain't interesting.

... and maybe not even then. The owner of The Tulving Company was charged with wire fraud, and (agreed to) plead guilty, and the media hasn't touched it. I'm guessing it just isn't on their radar, not that they are ignoring it.

robertmbeard

Reply with quote  #6 
Last Wednesday afternoon, I sent an email to the Fox News national news manager email, giving him info on the case, as well as links to About.Ag, the Bullion Direct website, and this forum.  So far, I have received no response...
JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
I have someone from an Austin newspaper that is interested in writing a story about Bullion Direct. If you are in Texas (preferably Austin), he would be interested in speaking with you. Just send me a PM and I can send you his contact information.
JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
I have someone from an Austin newspaper that is interested in writing a story about Bullion Direct. If you are in Texas (preferably Austin), he would be interested in speaking with you. Just send me a PM and I can send you his contact information.

The reporter is looking for some more people to talk to, so if anyone would like to speak with him, just send me a PM or E-mail (about.ag [at] gmail.com), and I will connect you with him.

JohnWashburn

Reply with quote  #9 
I too will do what I can to get a reporter to the creditors' meeting.
spainte

Reply with quote  #10 
Just got off the phone with the Austin reporter. He is starting from ground zero of understanding the bullion business (no different from myself pre-2008). He is very cordial and appreciative of what I was able to share (teach) about the bullion investment and hear my story.

He is interested in speaking with others. I would encourage others to make contact through JG. The more information / differing viewpoints we can provide, the better his reporting will be. I don't think you have to have any particular 'facts' about the case to help him understand what is going on.
JohnWashburn

Reply with quote  #11 
Joshua:

You have my permission to pass on my contact info to the reporter spainte is referring to

nobody

Reply with quote  #12 
Out of curiosity, anything ever come about from this?  I keep expecting to see something in the news, I mean I admit it's "only" a 33 million dollar fraud, but it's a lot of people...

JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
Out of curiosity, anything ever come about from this?  I keep expecting to see something in the news, I mean I admit it's "only" a 33 million dollar fraud, but it's a lot of people...

I think there is a very good chance we will see something in an Austin newspaper fairly soon (perhaps within a week or so).

What is noteworthy here is that while the Tulving case got a bit more local media attention (his local paper had 3 stories by this point in the process), they were fairly brief articles. This seems to be a bit more in-depth, and something that is now on their radar. They realize that $32M of metal/money missing from a previously well-respected company holding $33M of metal/money may not quite be national news, but is pretty big.

JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #14 
The Austin American-Stateman has published their article about Bullion Direct.

Thanks to all of those who helped the reporter with the story!

ChevyRacer

Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks, JG...good story, and I hope it gets the necessary traction...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.