Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
jim249

Reply with quote  #16 
Fine article, well written.
robertmbeard

Reply with quote  #17 
Indeed.  That was a fairly well balanced article, which is very unusual from journalism nowadays...
harley_52

Reply with quote  #18 
Well, finally someone in the media noticed. Quite a saga.  I'll be interested to see all the details once they're known.  I see I'm not the only one from Augusta, GA to be included in the story......
robertmbeard

Reply with quote  #19 
I just sent an email with hyperlink of this Austin local news article to Fox News, to see if they will give it national attention.  They ignored my first email a month ago.  Maybe now that another journalist has done most of the work, they will at least copy the story and spread it nationally... 
gyro

Reply with quote  #20 
One key thing missing from the article though is Charles McAllister's mugshot and some more in-depth, investigative reporting on him.
Carolline

Reply with quote  #21 
Unfortunately, the comments below the Statesman article were generally unsympathetic to the victims.  (I had to pay for a one week's subscription to read them. . . )

I submitted a rebuttal post, but perhaps it would be helpful to have more sympathetic posts added to the comments - if anyone's up to that.
ChevyRacer

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolline
Unfortunately, the comments below the Statesman article were generally unsympathetic to the victims. (I had to pay for a one week's subscription to read them. . . )

I wouldn't normally mind paying for a one-week subscription, but a) the Statesman makes you jump through hoops to get one, and b) I don't have any interest in trying to convince a bunch of retarded Texans that one of their bible-belting own ("God Made. Jesus Saved. Texas Raised") is a sociopathic, white-trash thief. Anyone who's defending Charles McAllister and blaming his victims is a low-class POS like he is, so what's the point? The people of Austin aren't going to get any of our bullion or cash back, so f*ck 'em--we can concentrate on the fate of Chad McAllister just fine without them...
ChevyRacer

Reply with quote  #23 
And I hope everyone enjoyed the tickets we all helped buy for the Auburn-Louisville game this past weekend...go Tigers!
Carolline

Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRacer

I wouldn't normally mind paying for a one-week subscription, but a) the Statesman makes you jump through hoops to get one, and b) I don't have any interest in trying to convince a bunch of retarded Texans that one of their bible-belting own ("God Made. Jesus Saved. Texas Raised") is a sociopathic, white-trash thief. Anyone who's defending Charles McAllister and blaming his victims is a low-class POS like he is, so what's the point? The people of Austin aren't going to get any of our bullion or cash back, so f*ck 'em--we can concentrate on the fate of Chad McAllister just fine without them...

Agree - it was not easy to find the one-week alternative. :-)  And I don't really care about changing the opinions of the nasty posters, either.  

But since this is the first significant media report out there, just wanted some offset to the demeaning stuff already posted. . .
Ltvn68

Reply with quote  #25 
Another article......

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/downtown-austin-vault-of-precious-metals-turns-up-/nnYS2/?icmp=statesman_internallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral
ChevyRacer

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvn68
Another article......

That's the one we've been talking about...
PM

Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Unfortunately, the comments below the Statesman article were generally unsympathetic to the victims.  (I had to pay for a one week's subscription to read them. . . )

I submitted a rebuttal post, but perhaps it would be helpful to have more sympathetic posts added to the comments - if anyone's up to that.
I would rather spend time trying to encourage the Texas DA and the FBI to seek hidden assets and anything else Charlie may have that was purchased with ill-gotten gains and seize it.
PM

Reply with quote  #28 
http://investmentwatchblog.com/if-you-cant-touch-it-you-dont-own-it-austin-gold-vault-comes-up-mostly-empty/
JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM
Quote:

I would rather spend time trying to encourage the Texas DA and the FBI to seek hidden assets and anything else Charlie may have that was purchased with ill-gotten gains and seize it.

That's certainly important, but so are the rebuttals. In my mind, it's not so much about trying to change someone's mind, but instead is about making sure that someone looking through the comments sees both sides.

But it is odd that there is a segment of our society that seems to enjoy making fun of the misfortune of others. That seems to happen a lot in comments to newspaper articles.

tboll

Reply with quote  #30 
I don't have access to the comments but note the tone used by the article when describing Bullion Direct...  "a little-known downtown Austin company".  For us customers living far away from Austin, BD was as "big" as their web presence, social-media sentiment, and consumer ratings (such as BBB).  To the locals, BD was probably nothing more than a shingle that kept moving around town to various fake offices and run by some shady character who seemed to always be picking up special packages from the Post Office.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: