[For news on NWT Mint, see http://about.ag/NWTMint.htm]
[For research on bullion dealers, see http://BullionDealerData.com]

Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
robertmbeard

Reply with quote  #16 
au:

How did you find out his daughter said that?  Was it Facebook or some other shallow, dubious social networking site?
tboll

Reply with quote  #17 
His daughter is talking to you, Au?  Does she know we are trying to send him to prison?
Lars

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmbeard
bull123:

I don't think state/federal licensing of gold dealers is an effective answer.  Licensing adds bureaucratic cost, gives naïve people a warm/fuzzy sense of safety, but is only just a piece of paper.  Having state/federal inspections of the vault theoretically would be more effective, but also costly.  And if you give the state or the Feds that power, it will likely be abused relative to honest gold dealers. 

In my humble opinion, the most effective techniques are private, industry-led approaches to self-monitoring and reporting of 2nd rate activities.  Along those lines, just having a website like JG's, where you can collect some data on shipping times by various gold dealers, is a big help to identify potential early warning signs.  As a customer, if you knew of online resources you could check, before making a purchase, that would help keep bullion dealers in the industry on their toes and honest, you would have more meaningful peace of mind -- certainly more than just a business saying it has a piece of paper from government indicating a "license." 

I totally agree with that.  I think this country would be better off with less government regulation than more of it.  And it doesn’t add a single ounce of protection to the consumer, anyway.  It’s just another way for the government to extort a fee from someone for the privilege of existing.  And we all know who pays for those fees in the end.

I experienced this at the local level.  My wife hired a handyman who happened to be the father of my daughter’s best friend.  She trusted him and paid him up front.  All these guys have to be licensed by the county.  Turned out he was a crack head (found out long after the fact), and he did a half-assed job while damaging my house in the process. That’s when we found out he was lying about being insured (imagine!)  I called the county licensing office, and they told me they couldn’t do anything about it – not even suspend or revoke his license.  In short, every one of these contractors have to pay a fee to be licensed, and they use that in their advertising.  But it doesn’t help the consumer one bit - it's just another government racket.
robertmbeard

Reply with quote  #19 

Lars:

I agree with what you said above about "licenses."  Sorry about your house.  That happens so often these days, you almost expect to have problems when you hire some contractors. 

The license protection racket also is detrimental on the flip side of the process.  In some places, they will seriously fine or threaten jail to someone without a license, even if that person has the right skills and knowledge for it.  My view is that whomever you choose to enter into a contract with to do some work is your decision.  If you know someone without "the papers" who is talented, hard-working, and available, why should anyone else stick their noses into it.  Now, if the contract doesn't turn out well in a bad enough way, then you may need to resolve a dispute in civil court.  That is one of the primary functions of civil court -- settling contract disputes.  Most of us don't trust the legal system (not justice system;  there is a difference...);  so, we try to avoid that option as much as possible. 

Maybe it exists somewhere, but I'd like to see a website or forum that helps people share their local contractor experiences.  That would go a long way toward helping people find the best, thorough, talented contractors for a desired project...

au

Reply with quote  #20 
no i don't know his daughter.  just a blurb she put on her social media page.  -au
Dcscott

Reply with quote  #21 
Its a simple matter as far as im concerned ; i want what i owned. If CM has to sell his children to pay me back, so be it. Otherwise he can be held under the jail for all i care.
PM

Reply with quote  #22 
If the FBI determines that criminal activity is involved won't they seize all of CM's property? And anyone else that CM may have given anything to.
If he/they have any assets ( homes. bank accounts, vehicles, boats, planes, etc.)confiscation of all their ill-gotten wealth!
nobody

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcscott
If CM has to sell his children to pay me back, so be it. Otherwise he can be held under the jail for all i care.

Here's the thing - for his kids sake, he needs to turn himself in - his wife's name is on the money - so is his.  Any legacy he wants to leave for his children at this point is tarnished by defrauding thousands of individuals.  Will his mother be proud?  Will his children?

I've never seen a person act so callously to those they love - he seems to think giving them criminal proceeds will some how make their lives better -- and I'd bet another internet point he's about to discover just how wrong he was.

I don't want innocents to go to jail - but I will take back all the "gifts" charles thought were his right to give - in the form of cash, or his childrens tuition if necessary.
ChevyRacer

Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
Will his mother be proud?

FWIW, his parents are dead...
"In God We Trust"

Reply with quote  #25 
Were they scam artists too?

I know we are getting off topic, but I wonder if CM is reading this forum.
Khachir7

Reply with quote  #26 
Or, maybe, he went to Dubai in an attempt to find a wealthy investor / buyer for his business. Remember that Dubai is the international Mecca to buy gold. Plus, from experience, the investors from Middle East have lots of money but are not always sophisticated. It was definitely worth trying on his part!
JohnWashburn

Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmbeard
bull123:
While that's not a ringing endorsement, it does follow my typical approach to voting -- vote against incumbents and "establishment" types, because turnover is better than entrenchment and maximum corruption... 

From the note books of Lazarus Long:

If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for...but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong. If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time on it that truly intelligent exercise of franchise requires.

http://www.angelfire.com/or/sociologyshop/lazlong.html

tboll

Reply with quote  #28 
Plus it lets you "cancel out" the vote of the person (fool?) that you spoke with.
robertmbeard

Reply with quote  #29 
JohnWashburn:

I liked that quote from Lazarus Long;  it's smart and insightful. 

I would add my own additional general rule-of-thumb, namely to vote for a broad, "democratic" dispersal of power to state and local governments and away from Washington D.C.  That is federalism, in a nutshell.  By moving away from concentrated power (central planning) in 1 level of government, you move away from the 1-size-fits-all approach that maximizes dissatisfaction, maximizes corruption and cronyism, and minimizes real protections of individual liberty.  Only by having all power-hungry political elitists fighting themselves, with none of them getting too powerful, can we truly have the right level of protection for our natural individual freedoms...  Just my 2 cent's worth...

In Liberty, indeed
Robert Beard
Dcscott

Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull123
why would he need to risk diverting Gold to Dubai when he could just bury it in Mom's backyard?

or maybe he wasn't really into buying Gold at all (that's why the fetish of not filling orders)

he preferred cash ... cash can be spent ... gold needs to be turned back into cash to be spent

one extra step in the process ...

The government is not going to look at any of these things ... they think folks who buy Gold are the tin hat crowd.  They are going to give him a slap on the wrist or maybe a few years in prison and then move on to a case that involves something they want to brag about on TV.

Gold doesn't fit that profile ...

They really need to license these Gold dealers so this stuff doesn't happen.

His vault should have been inspected annually by the state of Texas and the minute stuff went missing he should have been closed down.

Just like a food inspector at your favorite local eatery.

I've been researching and found our CM is a " principal" at royal gold and jewelery of houston.. Another gold outlet to launder gold and cash..
Why carry gold when you can send digital money? Maybe he bought bitcoins with all that bullion...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: