[For research on bullion dealers, see http://BullionDealerData.com]

Forum

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu
In the meantime, metals are going lower and I want to buy a little to offset my losses with BD.  What is the best alternative?

My first choice is APMEX, although their prices are typically a bit higher. They have more "checks and balances" in place than most other dealers to help prevent problems.

Check out http://www.BullionDealerData.com for some other ideas.

BOB

Reply with quote  #17 
Pingu: I thought I'd try out Texas Precious Metals and placed the exact same order I had with BD in mid May.  8 days later the coins were in my hand, which included a weekend and clearing payment on my check. I'm kicking my own butt because I didn't place the whole order with them. All I've seen are 5 star reviews for TPM. It had been 4 years since I'd ordered any coins from BD, and the lesson learned for me is to do CURRENT on research the company before you send off your hard-earned dollars. If I had just visited the BD Forums or checked the BBB before placing my order, I wouldn't be out 4 years worth of savings. Or if I'd waited just one more month, I wouldn't have even been able to place an order. Or if . . . . . DAMMIT!
tboll

Reply with quote  #18 
Funny you should ask.  I had forgotten what brought me to using BD in the first place.  When I started looking elsewhere for gold it seems that BD's prices were lower than everyone else.  I guess it's not so surprising that perhaps the deal was too good to be true, at least too good to last more that 15 years.  

Right now most of my PM is in ETFs.  Lots of people say this is contradictory since that lumps my PM in the same vehicle (stock market) that I'm trying to protect against.

Although I've never bought from them, AMPEX seems to have good prices and really good ratings on ebay.  They also seem to me to be most similar to BD, which might be a set up for falling into the same trap.  I think though if you don't buy too much at once (so you put a large amount of money at risk) and you take immediate delivery, it may be a viable option.
JG

Administrator
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboll
Although I've never bought from them, AMPEX seems to have good prices and really good ratings on ebay.  They also seem to me to be most similar to BD, which might be a set up for falling into the same trap.  I think though if you don't buy too much at once (so you put a large amount of money at risk) and you take immediate delivery, it may be a viable option.

APMEX has a much better corporate structure. Bullion Direct was basically just Charles McAllister, and Tulving was basically just Hannes Tulving. They had nobody they had to report to. They've got a President, CEO, CFO, all of whom presumably know what is going on (how much is in the bank, vaults, debt, etc.). That costs money, so often the prices are higher, but sometimes there are good deals (especially on eBay, where you can also get protection paying by credit card).

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.